Thursday 26 January 2012

Prawn Salad

I am not a great fan of cold food especially cold prawns but when my sister made this salad to compliment a dinner dish I was preparing, I fell in love. I always have it with something hot though.

My sister is a lawyer and as with most lawyers I know, she hates Mathematics, anything scientific and everyone knows and forgives her for this. Even after she failed Mathematics in high school, my parents laughed and made a joke of it. Imagine if I had failed math like that! Trouble! I would not have heard the last of it.  Can you imagine the speech I would have been given? “As the first born in this family you have to set good example….” Oh the curse of first-born. Argh! Anyway she always turns to me for help with things like computers, the Internet or any form of technology so when ever I turn to her for help in this particular area she makes a big show of it. I once asked her how she loaded videos on Facebook, oh gosh how I regretted it! She called everyone to tell then how the student had become the master. Joker. So you can imagine how smug she felt when she showed me how to make the prawn salad, I didn’t hear the last of it! I know it's all love though.

Layered Prawn Salad

Ingredients:

½ cup of cooked and peeled small prawns
½ cup of shredded crab sticks
½ cup of sweetcorn
2 hard-boiled eggs.
4 tablespoons of Mayonnaise
1 Knorr cube

To get a layered look take an empty can that used to contain plum tomatoes and open both ends, wash thoroughly. I usually rinse the prawns with very hot water and then mix the cube of Knorr in. Add 1 tablespoon of Mayonnaise in each of the cups that contain the prawns, crab-sticks, sweet corn and eggs. You don’t have to use a 1-tablespoon, use as much or as little as you want.

Place the hollow can in the centre of a large plate and place a tablespoon of the crab-sticks mixture in the can. Using the spoon to smooth over the mixture in the can. Do this for all mixtures until you have placed all the ingredients through the can.  Cross your fingers and say a silent prayer as you remove the can slowly off the plate.








P.S. I didn’t mix the ingredients with Mayonnaise separately. What I tried to do was include the Mayonnaise as a layer as well but alas the arrangement collapsed. That’s why I suggested adding Mayonnaise to the ingredients to sort of glue them together and that’s why my picture doesn’t look like what I have described!

5 comments:

  1. Great presentation, looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hun, just read your comment about my making your birthday cake last year. SO glad you liked it! Thank you for your wonderful compliment!

    This looks lovely and so well presented! I generally love prawns though! It'll definitely make an appearance on the side of the next meal I prepare :)

    ReplyDelete