Monday 5 March 2012

Red Velvet Cake

I love baking cakes especially with Kofo but my only issue is the presentation. I can guarantee that my cake will taste nice but I cannot guarantee that it will look very pretty. With layered cakes I find that as I butter the layers, the cake tends to lean to one side. And when it comes to icing the whole cake it just looks a right mess. There are some cakes that are so well presented that they look too good to eat. That's what I want my cake too look like. I guess I need to keep practising.

I was asked to bake a cake for a send off party for a few friends leaving Aberdeen last week and I decided to bake a red velvet cake. I was a bit worried about the presentation so I came up with a solution. To distract the cake eater from the messy look, I take a very thin slice off each  cake layer, chop them to make fine crumbs and mix in a little butter cream and the paste it all over the cake. It looks like this:



I also bought a new camera this weekend. I baked another red velvet cake to test my new camera and also test my new cake trick. What do you think.? Did I pull it off?


9 comments:

  1. Don't forget to post wifey's portion

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pulled it off, the cake looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks yummy and the camera not too bad pictures!
    Just need the recipe now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You more than pulled it off, now it just looks super velvety all over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From your angle selection, couldn't see any tilting! Looks so yummy! What kind of camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really nice. Coincidentally I'm baking a red velvet cake at the mo. Had a design planned out already, but I'm definitely incorporating this into it. The cake looks really yummy.. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Pls do send us a picture when you are done.

      Delete
  7. omg this looks really yummy, you pulled it off big time

    ReplyDelete