Wednesday 20 August 2014

The Plantain Chronicles!




I have always loved plantains but the current love I have for them has taken me by surprise. The past few days, I have found myself in the kitchen in the middle of the night creating recipes using plantains as the main ingredients. I blame 9jafoodie! I have been trying recreate her plantain chips recipe but something always went wrong. I can't manage to find unripe plantain in Doha. And when I do get one that in reasonably close, I can't find a way to cut them so thin. I am rubbish with the mandolin. So I decided to make plantain chips my own way.

I have developed two recipes with the same ingredients, I must admit that one of them happened by mistake! 

Plantain Chips and Puffs

Ingredients:

½ ripe plantain, small cubes
1  tbs plain flour
3 tbs dry fine breadcrumbs
½ tsp chili powder
a pitch of salt
vegetable oil fir frying

Directions:


using a hand blender, blend the plantain in a bowl until smooth. Add all the other ingredients and combine well, it the dough is too wet you can add more bread crumbs. You want to be able to roll the dough out without sticking to the pin. Divide the dough into two, one for plantain chips and the other half for plantain puffs. 

using a rolling pin, flatten half of the dough until its about as thick as a 2 pence coin and the other half should be flattened until it's about thick as 1 ½ of a 2 pence coin. Heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the chips and puffs for about 3 mins or until golden brown.

Serve with pepper sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment