Wednesday 14 December 2011

Chicken Soup for the Soul

I need a hug! One that comes  with a hot soup and huge fluffy arms to keep me  warm inside and out. I imagine the soup  would warm my joints and the fluffy arms would keep the wind away. Bachelor's (or perhaps it should be Spinster's!) "Cup a Soup" ad comes to mind, where they promise a hug with every cup of soup. That's exactly what I need!

It is really cold and wet outside and I have finally been struck down by the flu. All year round we have been playing cat  and mouse with each other. I have taken all sorts of precautions to prevent this happening to me. Even when  Miss Ola, my flatmate had it, I was still able to escape  it. Not today, not this very moment. My throat feels like sand paper and I am afraid if I sneeze one more time my eyeballs will shoot out of their sockets. My head is pounding and spinning at the same time. For a split second I look round my room for a gun to blow my brains out.  That would definitely stop the headache. 

What I really need right now is something to knock me out. And a hug, one that comes with hot spicy soup and huge fluffy arms. For some reason everyone I have called to get me some medicine seems to be unavailable. Maybe they  have all been struck down by this unforgiving virus. I wonder if they have guns lying under their beds. If only I could get my hands on one. I am going to try and sleep it off.

I am awake now and I realize I need three things; some medication,  a hug (that comes with soup and huge fluffy arms - I wonder how many times I can get away  with writing this) and a gun! I know where I can get medicine from and thinking about what I have in my pantry, I am sure I can come up with some soup. The gun and hug is another matter. First, I must drag myself out of bed.

 I am glad  I came out as I feel a bit better with every breath I take of the clean, cold air. I must remember not to overdo it.  I am standing by the drugs counter searching for something drowsy, something heavy to knock me out. I don't see any. What are they afraid of? Argh!!!! I guess Lempsip Max will have to do for now.

An hour later  I feel much better but I am still in need of that  soup. Even though I am dressed warm I still feel quite cold inside. Some hot spicy chicken soup will do just fine, to warm my soul. I have all the ingredients to make this soup, which is quite easy. The problem now is if I have energy to get up and make it.

What I will need for this soup:

Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
 Courtesy of Oriental Cookbook
2 chicken thighs, remove the flesh and dice to small pieces
1 tablespoon of Sunflower Oil
600ml of Chicken Soup
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons of Cornflour
1 Teaspoon of Chili Powder
1 sprig of Spring Onions, shredded
1/2 Cup of Sweetcorn
Toasted Sesame Seed Oil

If I had energy this is how I would make it. In a medium size sauce pan I would heat the oil for a minute or so and fry the diced chicken until golden brown. I would then remove the chicken and set aside. Next step is to add the chicken stock and bring to boil and then simmer while stirring. As I need the soup to be very spicy I will add  the chili powder, lots of it, sweetcorn and  season to taste with salt. After turning the cornflour into a thick paste by adding cold water to it, I will then add this paste to the chicken stock to thicken it. You might need to add more cornflour paste to get the right soup thickness. I must remember to add the fried chicken I set aside earlier to the sauce pan. Simmer for another 5 minutes. I will whisk the egg is a bowl then add it to soup gradually while stirring with a fork. Before serving I will add the shredded spring onions and drizzle of toasted sesame seed oil.

Now to find a recipe for that hug...

2 comments:

  1. Here's a warm fiery hug to warm you to your core. Hope you feel better sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog every Thursday! If you provide the soup, I will provide a hug!

    ReplyDelete