Monday 19 December 2011

'Food' in Love

I think Rihanna is the queen of re-invention. She re-invents her image and her music every time she brings out a new album, you get a feel that she is someone new. And I personally feel she gets better and better every time. The first time she graced our screens she had the "girl next door" look. Now she is anything but that girl! Just take a look at what I mean:


I think she is absolutely gorgeous (no homo!). I believe it keeps life interesting changing and improving an aspect of ones self. The first time I created and tested this recipe I knew wasn’t quite there yet and there was room for improvement. I have given this recipe a fair bit of thought – I know what you are thinking, this girl is obsessed! I confess I am a FOOD ADDICT! For me the plantain mixture was a bit too "wet", I felt it needed to be drier, it needed a bit of crunch. The friends I served it to thought it was perfectly alright though. So maybe this isn't really a re-invention, more of a new plantain recipe. I have been thinking seriously about dying my hair blond though. On second thoughts...

What I have done with this new recipe is to replace the flour with bread crumbs, this holds all the ingredients together. Instead of blending the ingredients together, I mashed the plantain. This gives the whole recipe a rustic feel. I also introduced sausage meat to the mixture and left out any liquids, the plantain and peppers already contain enough moisture. I absolutely love this new recipe I must say. The sweet scent of the plantain mixed with meaty aroma is divine. Even though I could taste all the ingredients individually, I was still able to taste how they came together to make a really superb dish.

M tested this new recipe for me and fell in love with it. I may get her to try the first one and give me her thoughts. If you have the chance to try both recipes please let me know which one is the winner!


Oven Baked Sausage Plantain
Ingredients:
2 Ripe plantains
4 Sausages
2cm ginger
4 garlic cloves
4 tbs Bread Crumbs
1 Scotch Bonnet (Hot Fesh Chili)
1/4 Red or Green Bell Pepper
1/4 Onion
1 tsp coriander
1 Knorr Cube


Preheat the oven to 185 degrees Celsius.


To make it easier for you to mash the plantains, chop them first into very small cubes. In a large bowl, mash the plantain with a potato masher or a wooden spoon. Don't over work it as you don't want it to be too smooth. Finely chop all the vegetables and add to the bowl containing the mashed plantain. Remove the skins from the sausages and add to the plantain mixture. Add the breads crumbs, coriander and knorr cubes. Mix thoroughly. Roll the whole mixture as large sausage in baking paper or foil paper and bake for 30 minutes. I served this with egg sauce.




1 comment:

  1. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! My waistline has grown by at least 2 inches since I started following your blog, but I am enjoying trying out all these recipes

    ReplyDelete