Tuesday 27 May 2014

All Gone!

Can I just put it out there that kuli kuli and kankuwa originated from Nupe land? thank you!

My great Aunt is the king, yes king of kulikuli and dankuwa in Lafiagi. I once took some to work and everyone was going crazy over them. I am sure there is some secret ingredients she adds to her recipe which I am must ask her for that make them taste so lovely. She also dries them as opposed to frying them.

I find it weird that people fry their kuli kuli and suya. The first time I saw suya being fried in Lagos, I almost passed out. I was like that's not how we do it. This was apparently the best suya in Lagos. I shall not mention names!

Anyway I decided to make some kuli kuli and dankuwa as I suddenly had a craving for them. the difference between the two is how you process them, the ingredients are the same.

Kuli Kuli

Ingredients:

1 cup of roasted groundnut, salted
a pinch of dry grounded pepper
one muslin cloth

Method:

Blend the groundnut and pepper until you get a very thick creamy paste. Using a tablespoon, scoop half a spoonful and place on a foil lined tray. using the back of the spoon, flatten the paste. Repeat until all the paste is done. leave in a dry area to dry. This can be placed outside to dry in the sun or in a dehydrator until it is crunchy.


Dankuwa

The only different between the method is that you blend the groundnut to a dough texture, so not as creamy as kuli kuli. This means you blend this for a short duration than when blending for kuli kuli. The next step is to place the dough is the muslin cloth and squeeze out any excess oil. Mould this dough in balls or into any shape you like.






You won't believe i have no pictures of the finished product as my dearest AF wacked everything before I could get a chance to take any. He left one dankuwa for me. Just one! Sigh! 

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm with you on fried Suya. I recently saw it. Instagrammed it. Videoed suya being dipped in a vat of oil. Shock.....horror.....but I ate it, gobbled it up. Someone said suya meant 'to fry'????

    And till tomorrow, I won't get the bit about frying kuli kuli. I suspect it began as a preservation method but...oh well. All delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ suya meant "to fry". I ate it too but i was already biased!

      Delete